BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, September 20, 2022

Well, Huh

Last week, I noticed something weird. Amazon had marked down the price on my ebook of Eternal Nights. I wasn't running any promotions, so I worried that one of the other retailers had gone rogue and Amazon was price matching.

I searched everywhere I could, but no one had the incorrect price. Then I started to worry some pirate was selling a copy and I was going to have to fight to get that taken down.

Without any idea what was going on, I emailed Kindle Publishing and asked.

The answer was that there was a new copy of the paperback for sale and the ebook must be priced lower than the paperback copy.

Dear reader, this book has been out of print for more than fifteen years. I got my rights back to this book around fifteen years ago. The publisher is out of business and has been for more than ten years. I never did a paperback version since there were so many mass market paperbacks available used. There are no new copies of this book.

Or there shouldn't be.

But I went over and sure enough, there was one copy of the paperback marked as new. Sold by Amazon, not a third party. I'm like WTH?

I'm wracking my brain, trying to come up with answers. I decided on two probably scenarios.

One: They were cleaning the warehouse and found a stray copy.

Two: It was really a used copy and it was somehow mislabeled as new.

So I ordered it. The book arrived on Thursday and guess what? It was used. And not just gently used either. It's stained and icky to the point I think I'm going to throw it away instead of donating it somewhere.