BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, September 22, 2022

Tote Sweet

It was my week for sagas, I guess. Or maybe everything felt harder because I caught the flu and was still recovering last week.

I want to make a tote bag. I've been searching and favoriting patterns for months. Lots of months. And finally I decided it was time to pick a bag. How can I sew one if I have no pattern or instructions?

It was while I was tooling around, trying to decide on a pattern that I saw it. Not a tote bag, but something awesome.

A pattern to make a case to hold knitting needles! (Or crochet hooks.)

I have small little book-type cases to hold my needles now, but I have more than one because I can't fit everything in one. And I have circular needles and interchangeable needles and double-pointed needles and short tip needles. Well, you get the idea. This case would be perfect! And I could put all my other cases inside it, too.

It never occurred to me that it wouldn't be a PDF pattern. We're not talking one of the big pattern makers. This is an indie pattern company.

I had the pattern in my basket and was checking out when I saw my shipping options. I'm like, shipping? I started investigating and this designer only has a handful of PDF patterns available and this was not one of them. Why? Not because of pirates, although that was my first thought.

No, she has them in paper only because she wants to support quilt shops.

Lady, I understand your desire to make sure we don't lose more brick and mortar retailers. I'm still heartbroken that my yarn shop went out of business during the pandemic, but I don't have a quilt shop close to me and I do not want a paper pattern.

I want PDF.

That way, if I mess up, I can reprint it and try again. With a PDF, I can throw the paper away at the end of the project and just reprint if I ever decide to make another one which saves on clutter and storage space. And besides, I hate paying for shipping.

I actually removed this pattern from my cart because I couldn't get it in PDF. This designer had a lot of patterns and I was excited about half a dozen of them. But if they're all paper, I'll see what I can find from another designer. Someone else must have designed a pattern for something similar, right?

And if not, I'll eventually hold my nose and order the needle case because I can't find all my knitting needles at the moment. They're in too many places.