BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, January 12, 2023

2023 Tasks

Changing to a new year can be exciting, but it also takes some work. Not only do I have to get my new planner ready with birthdays, anniversaries, etc, but I also have to get my spreadsheets ready for the year.

Instead of keeping a paper check register, I have an Excel spreadsheet with a sort-by-date function. But the person who created it suggested not keeping years of data on one sheet because of potential issues. What I've done to keep things simple is start a new workbook at the first of each year. So far, so good.

I also have a register of credit card charges I make. That way, I can look at the total and look at my bill and know in a glance if everything matches. Or not. This is a free spreadsheet I found on Vertex 42 and updated to work for me. I have a tab for each month and I have all my regular auto-charges on the sheets when I start the year.

I'm trying a different budget spreadsheet for 2023 because the one I was using took too much work and I lost steam in September. I'm hoping this one is easier, but I'm still setting it up. Oops!

The bill tracker for 2023 is ready to go. This is another new spreadsheet I bought because there were things I didn't like about the other ones I tried. Third time's the charm? But I want a bill tracker because I don't want to be surprised when I get the car insurance bill...like I was in 2022.

My final year-specific spreadsheet is one I created myself and used for the first time in 2022. It's where I keep track of my business expenses. I had a different spreadsheet that I created, but it was extremely simple and very difficult to print out for the tax guy. This one is more condensed and sharper in appearance.

I have a small spreadsheet addiction, but it's how I keep myself on track. I even have my Paladin League series bible in a spreadsheet!