BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, January 10, 2023

In Search Of

You'd think buying a lunch bag to bring to work would be a quick and easy thing to do. Of course, I did have certain requirements.

Small. It needs to fit in the fridge at work without taking up too much space.

Stable. I don't want my overnight oats to be tossed around or end up on its side.

Attractive. This is the least important, but could I please not have something brown or gray or navy? I prefer loud patterns and exciting colors.

I've been using a plastic bag from the grocery store which is neither stable nor attractive, but it is compact. I wrap it around my lunch/breakfast food and it takes up almost no extra space. It kind of works, but as I said, my oats get tossed around and I really would like to not use a grocery sack.

I began my online shopping excursion optimistic and thinking it would take like a minute or two while I decided on colors.

By the fifth page of search results, I knew I was going to have trouble.

My search was "small lunch bag," but the bags that came up were too big. I have lunch bags these sizes already and I don't use them because they are too big. I'm not bringing a ten-course meal to work for heaven's sake.

The second search was "really small lunch bag." I did have a couple turn up that were smallish, but not that small.

Currently, I'm contemplating something called a snack box. It's small. I'm just concerned it might be too small. The bowl my oats are in might be too wide for this box thing. It would be perfect, though, on the days I do eggs instead of oats, so I might pick it up even if I only get part time use out of it.

I don't know. I never expected it to be this difficult to find something compact.

Edited to add: I went with the snack box. Fingers crossed that it's just large enough.