BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, April 11, 2023

Losing a Favorite

I found my perfect running shoe and I was like this is awesome! It was the Brooks Pureflow 6. I bought extras of the shoe when it was marked down because the Pureflow 7 was out.

I bought a 7, and it was okay. It didn't fit exactly the same as my beloved 6, but it was fine. Also, the 7 had no design and was ugly.

Almost immediately, I began to wait for the Pureflow 8. Surely the 8 would be more like the 6 and I would be back to awesome again.

I waited. And waited and waited.

Then, one day, I decided to go online and see if I could find out some kind of timeline for the 8. Imagine my shock and horror to learn that the Pureflow was discontinued. There wouldn't be an 8!

One of my favorite things about the Pureflow was the short drop. It was 4mm which I loved. (The drop is the difference between the heel and to the toe.) I began my hunt for another shoe with a 4mm drop. I found a Saucony, the Kinvara, and decided to try it out.

I liked the shoe a lot--when I was wearing socks.

I do wear socks when I'm working out, but I also like to wear it for just knocking around and I always forgo socks in that instance. The Kinvara was very rough on the inside and not a pleasure to wear barefoot. The Brooks had been smooth and perfect for sockless wear.

After a few months, I went back to Brooks. I ended up with the Ghost and that has a 12mm drop. Not my favorite, but I got used to it and the inside was silky smooth.

Then I wore out my Ghosts and needed a new pair. I spotted the Brooks Trace 2 and it was cheaper than the new Ghost. Hmm, I thought, maybe I'll try these.

The Trace also has a 12mm drop, but I'm used to it now, so that wasn't a deal breaker. At first, the soles felt firmer than the Ghost and I wasn't sure I liked that, but I continued to wear them and they developed a little bit of give. Within a couple of weeks, I realized I had a new favorite shoe! I'd still be all over the Pureflow if it returned, but the Trace is a nice sub.

It feels good to have a go-to shoe again!