BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, April 20, 2023

Strategy

Would any of you be surprised that I do Wordle every morning? Probably not since I did an entire blog post raving about how much I love Spelling Bee.

Anyway, months ago, while I was searching YouTube for videos to learn Excel, one of the Excel guys did a Wordle video where he discussed strategy for the game. Cool, I thought, let me see this.

The advice was mostly forgettable, but the one piece I do remember is the word he always begins with. Adieu.

Hmm, I thought, that does provide a nice mix of vowels. I'm going to try that instead of my strategy. It only took one time for me to know his method has some serious flaws.

While adieu might give me a nice mix of vowels, there's only one consonant. That's a problem for me.

I like my method. I start out with the word Share. That gives me two vowels and two major consonants--S and R. My next word is Poult. This gives me O and U and another major consonant--T. L and P are also surprisingly common. Sometimes just from these two words, I have enough to solve the puzzle, but if I don't, my next word is Nifty. This gives me I and Y as well as an N. The T is repeated and I would love to come up with a word with I and Y that doesn't repeat an already used letter, but I haven't done that yet.

I also have two secondary words that I use if I'm super stuck and can't come up with any words. Badge and Wreck. (Sometimes instead of Badge, I'll use Midge, depending on what vowels I have.)

This strategy has worked well for me. The only day I broke my Wordle streak was the day I wasn't finished with it, had to do something else, and forgot I wasn't done. I'm still irritated by that, but I was writing deep for Wicked Persuasion and just spaced out on the game.