BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, June 22, 2023

Samples

Last year, before I had my bathroom remodeled, I requested all kinds of tile samples. I went to the home improvement stores and bought full-size tiles as I tried to make a decision on what I wanted.

It was tough! Finally, the contractor had me meet him and we walked through it together.

I knew I wanted the tile that looks like wood. I knew I wanted it light and not rustic. I found the tile for the shower first, but I needed a decorative tile and a floor tile. The contractor pulled the floor tile (his second pick. The first was rustic and I don't do rustic) and I was like that's it!

I had an idea for the shower floor tile, but I wasn't sure it was right. It was. That left the decorative border tile. The contractor pulled a variety of choices, put them with the three we'd already picked, and it was easy to eliminate the ones that wouldn't work.

That brought us to the final version. Final with shower door.

Now, a year later, I have tile samples...it seems like everywhere, although it really isn't.


This big hexagon tile I can make into a trivet. I just need to buy a glue gun and some supplies. And maybe watch a few YouTube videos, but what do I do with the other tiles?

I have a full size floor tile that ended up being far too light for the bathroom. I also have the little samples in the picture at the top of the post. I don't need coasters, which is the only thing I can think to do with the small square ones, but the accent tile samples? The shower floor tile samples? What do I do with them?

I don't do mosaics and really don't want to start, but tossing them away seems wasteful. Does Home Depot and Lowes take the samples back? I don't even need to get a refund, I just want the tiles out of my house.