BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, June 15, 2023

eBook Organization: Gah!

I've struggled with eBook organization for years, but I've kind of drifted along with the search function.

Then I was looking at writing books, saw one that looked interesting, but when I clicked on it, Amazon told me I already owned it. Hmm. I do? I looked, and yes, I do have it.

On Tuesday I blogged about my habit tracker plan. With my surprise book discovery, I decided maybe I should make a list of the writing-related books that I own. I went through my Kindle app, but I'm not feeling confident that I found all of them.

The next day, I remembered I own paper copies of some writing books I'd like to read. I added them to my list of books. Then I remembered my Kobo app. A few versions ago (okay more than a few versions ago), I loved the Kobo app so much, that I bought a lot of books there. Then they updated the app and I didn't love it as much and stopped using it. I forgot about all the books I have over there.

I added these to the list.

Which reminded me I have the Apple Books app, too. And Book Funnel. And I have no idea what I have on Nook because BN doesn't let me login and I don't know why, but I have books there, too.

I have a database for my paper books (although I haven't kept it up very well), but I have no system for my eBooks. None at all. I'm not even sure how you create a system. I tried to download a .CSV file from Kindle, but Amazon doesn't offer this feature.

I'm also stymied by the fact that I do not want to spend 10,000 hours organizing my eBooks. Maybe I need to do an online search to see if anyone in the world wide web wrote about their system.