BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, June 20, 2023

Tumbling Down

I've mentioned in the past how much I like receiving medals and that I continually sign up for virtual challenges that send medals. And I talked about buying a medal holder, but not knowing where to put it up. In the meantime, I was hanging the medals on piece that hooked into my desk shelving.

In the picture below, you can see it on the left side of my books. Their job is to keep books from falling off, not to hold weight.

But I kept getting medal after medal and they needed to go somewhere so I continued to hang them up next to my desk. It let me see them and kept them out of the way. Win-win.

There was no indication that the weight was getting to be too much for this poor metal arm. It wasn't bending, it wasn't creaking, and because I was hanging up one medal at a time, I had no idea how much weight was on the arm.

And then it happened.

While I was working from home and sitting at my desk, there was a crash. The arm fell to the floor, taking all the medals with it.

It was loud. Medals fell between the desk and the printer stand next to my desk. It's a narrow space, and while the printer stand has wheels, my office is currently too cluttered to move it. And the cords. I'd have to worry about there not being enough cord length to move the stand.

Some came apart. Luckily, they were easy to fix since three of the four casualties were magnets coming loose. One was a ribbon coming off. The only one not fixed is the one with the magnet medallion that I can't find. It's either under my desk or under the printer cart, but I'll have to clean up my office before I can locate it and that won't be until Wicked Persuasion is completely finished and uploaded.

Of course, this will bother me, so I'll keep looking.

I wasn't sure what to do with the medals, but I went with one of the bins I bought to organize my office. I put it on the bathroom scale. It said 12 pounds. It feels heavier than that.

 ETA: Found the missing medallion. All medals are now fixed.