BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, August 17, 2023

Wicked Persuasion: Final Days to Save

Special fan pricing ends on Tuesday. If you haven't picked up your copy of Wicked Persuasion yet, you only have a few more days to save!

Frankie and Deck were amazingly close-mouthed about themselves and they left me fumbling around for far too long. But as I wrote their story, I understood why they weren't in any hurry to open up. I knew what happened between them. I didn't know the fallout afterward.

I didn't realize just how pivotal Deck ghosting Frankie was in both their lives. How it changed both of them.

This is one of the reasons I enjoy telling stories. Learning why the characters do what they do.

When I learned the set up for Deck's book--that he'd slept with his best friend on the night of their college graduation and ghosted her--I couldn't believe it. Deck wasn't the kind of person who would do that. Not the Deck I knew from the first four books in the Paladin League series. But I knew it was what happened and I knew it weighed heavily on him.

But I'm like Mr. Responsible? Or maybe that should be Captain Responsible. I couldn't imagine him pulling this stunt. I became more astounded when I learned he did a lot of partying in college. Again, I was like Deck? Really? I couldn't imagine it.

I kept writing, though. I learned not to fight my characters. If I write something they don't like or is something they wouldn't do, I will literally not be able to write much farther until I fix what that something is. I can cite instance after instance. These two had already pushed me up against the deadline with their reticence, I didn't have time for a work strike, too. ;-)

And then, as the story unfolded, I realized how much Deck had changed. He revealed things I didn't know when I began writing the book. These discoveries are so much fun!