BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, October 05, 2023

The Name Game Part 1000

I blogged last week about new characters. Well, dang it, one of the heroes won't settle on a name. Baggs. You met him in Wicked Persuasion. The new medic who replaced Griff on the team.

I've tried out maybe a dozen real first names with Baggs, but he hasn't liked any of them.

Not any of them.

I think--THINK--that it ends in -er. I'm not willing to bet on that because none of those names have stuck.

This isn't the first time I've had a character do this kind of thing to me. I had a heroine who literally had me going through every baby name book I own and every baby name website before we found her name. It's just been a while since a character has made me work this hard.

I'm torn between determination to learn his name, damn the torpedoes, and just letting it be since I don't need his real first name right now and he'll eventually tell me.

It's just that I have a hard time waiting.