BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, November 09, 2023

Thank You for Playing, Try Again

I had an interesting timing scam come across my phone recently.

Usually, I don't get a lot of spammy texts, and when I do, I report it so that my carrier can learn from it and block the crap. But the timing of this latest scam was very interesting.

On this particular day, I happened to have two packages that the post office was late delivering. One was a race medal, which you know I love, and the other was from Kickstarter. One of my pledges had produced a product. I was anxious to get both of them and impatient with the delivery delay.

And then it happened. I get a text claiming to be from the post office and that I need to click a link to get my package delivered.

It only took a split second to realize it wasn't legit. First of all, I don't give anyone my mobile number and I know I didn't provide it for either package. Second, the URL was wrong. Third, the sender had a email address that wasn't USPS.gov, but from a company that provides temporary emails. I haven't used this particular company when I want to keep my email private, but I've used ones that were similar.

Definitely not from the US Postal Service.

Report. Delete.

It was the timing that was so interesting. I know it was luck. If the scammers send out enough text messages, sooner or later they're going to hit someone like me who has late packages from the post office. If that person didn't read carefully or think about what they were seeing, they might click the link.

Anyway, one of the missing packages showed up a day or two late. The race medal is still missing. I've reported it to the USPS today and am hopeful they'll find it and deliver it.