BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, January 18, 2024

Missing, Presumed Lost

I've blogged many times about how I like doing these virtual challenges that earn me medals. One of the companies sends the medals after the distance is covered. I like that because it holds me accountable. No steps, no medal.

Usually, everything goes like clockwork. I finish a challenge, the app asks me if I want my medal, I click yes, verify my address, and a week or so later, there it is.

Only that didn't happen with my New York City medal. The post office showed it sitting at the same location for a couple of weeks. It never arrived and it never moved.

After a few more days, I reported it lost.

The form isn't easy to find on the post office website, but I located it and I uploaded a picture of the medal. I expected it to be found quickly and resume its progress. This isn't what happened,

Finally, after weeks of nothing, I contacted the company that mailed out the challenge. They insure it, so I wanted to let them know it was missing and get a new medal sent to me.

They asked I wait around another week because it was still in their arrival window, but if it didn't arrive to contact them. The date came and went without my medal arriving. I gave it a couple more days, and then contacted the company again. They promptly sent out a replacement.

And on the day the post office marked the medal as delivered, there was no medal in my mailbox!

The same New York City medal was missing again. Sadly, unless our good mail lady is working, we frequently have mail misdelivered. And sure enough, after a few days it did actually arrive. Guessing one of my neighbors got it, threw it back in the box, and it was picked up and re-delivered.

This all happened in October. Recently, I got an update from the post office. The original medal that I'd reported missing? Still not found.