BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, January 09, 2024

That Gouge Hurt

I have a gas cooktop in my kitchen. I'm assuming it's what the builder installed because the woman I bought the house from hadn't owned it for very long. It's fine, but the big issue is the knobs to control the burners are plastic.

When they're taking on and off to clean around them, it's apparently easy to break them. The manufacturer was charging $25+ per knob for replacements. I know because I bought three of them.

And then another knob broke.

I didn't want to pay that much again and I wondered if I could find a compatible knob for less money. And yes, yes I did find a cheaper knob. I got five knobs for less than $20.

Although I was a little worried about quality, they were much cheaper to replace and they couldn't be worse than the manufacturer's version.

And then they came.

These knobs were all metal. These things are not going to break as easily when they're removed and replaced after cleaning. I immediately swapped out all the knobs. Even the ones that weren't broken.

The short version: Shop online for better value than manufacturer replacement parts.