BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, January 11, 2024

Upgrade Hell

I have a scanner on my desk. It's not a flatbed scanner, but something with a much smaller footprint. I don't use it often because I usually scan with my phone, but sometimes there are too many pages and it's easier to just let them feed through the scanner.

A few weeks ago, I needed to scan a package of papers and decided to use the real scanner. I turned it on, put my pages in the feeder, and went to open the software.

All I get is a notification window telling me that the software has been discontinued and replaced with a new program which doesn't do as much as the software I'm used to.

Whatever. I don't use a lot of the features anyway. Just let me scan my papers because I need to leave the house and I want to do this quickly.

There was no quick about it. The software would not open. Okay, I'll download the new software. Small problem--my scanner isn't listed as an option. I scroll down and find it in a discontinued section. Well, I'm not buying a new scanner when there's nothing wrong with this one. The only problem is their damn software.

The name of my scanner is a link and I click it. And end up in some weird loop where it says there's a version of the new software available for me, but when I click, I end up back on the page I started at.

I'm not sure how long I kept circling. I'm not sure how I ended up finding something that would download, but I get the new software installed. Now I can scan my pages.

Wrong.

The scanning software opens, but throws an error message telling me to try again later, or if the problem persists, to reinstall the software. The problem persists. I try to reinstall. It tells me the software is already installed and when I click okay, the box closes and no other option is available.

I end up using my phone to scan the document because I'm cursing the scanner company at this point.

The next day, I try again. This time I get a notification window saying that my anti-virus software is blocking their scanning software and to whitelist a list of program-related files. I do that, although I couldn't find one of them.

Same error message and I still can't reinstall the software.

Somehow I find the old software. When I try to open it, I get a message about a firmware upgrade. I run the upgrade and try to scan the document. This time it works. On the old software.

I never got the new software to work. Epic fail.