BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, January 04, 2024

Um, What?

For at least a couple of years now, I've seen a super strange term. Vegan Leather.

Vegan leather? Do you mean plastic?

I know it's salesmanship. Vegan leather sounds so much better than plastic, but the term is so odd and it legitimately doesn't make sense. It sounds like the marketing department of some manufacturing company had a brainstorming session and this was the best idea they could come up with.

Then there's the sister phrase to Vegan Leather. That would be Vegan Cashmere.

Um, do you mean polyester? Or some other synthetic material?

These terms are used prominently, too. I'd prefer just not calling out what the product is made of in the headline for the listing. Put it in the details section. Instead, the sites where I'm seeing these terms are putting them in the most noticeable place.

Maybe I'm the only one annoyed by this. Maybe I shouldn't even be annoyed because I know what I'm buying when I see vegan leather or vegan cashmere. For example, vegan cashmere means the sweater will be soft and snuggly.

Ultimately, I guess the terms are doing what they set out to do--explain to the consumer what they're getting, but it still irks me.