BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, May 16, 2024

Me and Instagram

Instagram, for reasons I don't understand, has begun to show me furniture restoration reels. This is dangerous because I look at these videos and think I can do that! And then I think about it harder and realize these restorers have years of experience and it's not as easy as it looks.

I've also been treated to resin art, jewelry making, and glass blowing. Except for the glass blowing, which I researched for one of my paranormal romances, I'm again in the I can do that mindset.

These reels make these activities look like fun! And maybe they are fun, but again, these are people who've done this for a while.

Actually, I'm seriously wondering about the Instagram algorithm. I get all kinds of hair cutting reels. Including for curly hair. My hair isn't stick straight, but I definitely don't have naturally curly hair. Hair styling reels, like for weddings. And hair coloring videos. Some of those have been pretty cool.

I almost wonder if I mess up the algorithm when I research different things on Instagram? I mean writers do look up some pretty strange things.

Today, the algorithm served up a reel that I was actually interested in, but I was in the middle of working with some weights. I decided to finish my leg lifts and then watch the video. And I picked up my phone afterward...and Instagram refreshed! ARGH! I scrolled and scrolled, but I couldn't find that reel again. And (of course) search was useless.