BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, May 09, 2024

Message Spam

Back in April, I received an email from Simple Human. They were having a sale. I decided to pop over and take a look at their kitchen garbage cans.

I found one that I liked, but it came in three sizes. I bought my current garbage can from this company, so I thought I'd login and take a look at the size I had. That would give me an idea what size in the can I was looking at.

Not that I necessarily was going to buy one, but if I was, I wanted something around the same size.

I logged in, but the site didn't respond as expected. Instead, it opened a window that demanded more information including my telephone number.

That's right. Simple Human would not allow me to login to my account without giving them my phone.

No chance in hell.

They already have my email address and my physical address since I ordered from them. They do not need the phone number too.

Oh, and along with the phone number, I had to agree to allow text messages. By providing the information they were demanding, I was granting permission for them to spam my iMessage app. Oh hell to the no times a million.

With this one change to their website, Simple Human has guaranteed that I will never buy from them directly again. They've also discouraged me from ever clicking through on their emails ever again. And I found the exact same garbage can for cheaper than the sale price at an online retailer. Another fail for Simple Human. (No, I didn't buy it.)

I don't know what the hell they think they're doing, but they really irked me. I can't be the only one who finds this ridiculous. What an epic fail.