BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, June 04, 2024

Wait Your Turn

There's always a point when I'm writing a book that the couple from the next story arrive and start talking to me. It almost always happens while I'm working on revisions to the book in progress.

This time, however, the next couple showed up and started talking when I was only slightly halfway through Wicked Suspicion.

To say this is not good timing is understating things. I'm only able to write one book at a time because my connection to the characters is so enormous, I can't fit more than one couple in my brain at the same time. I've tried to write more than one book at a time.

I've failed. And had to table one of the stories. It doesn't matter if they're in different stages of creation. My brain thinks of them the same.

So Oz and his heroine, Ayla, starting to talk was a huge problem.

I'd go to bed. They'd keep me up talking. I'd be driving. I'd listen to them talking. I'd be trying to concentrate on Lurch and Nyx. It would be Oz and Ayla talking.

The same scene over and over and over. Finally, it dawned on me to write the scene down. I just transcribed the dialogue, not the rest of the scene, It worked. I haven't heard from Oz or Ayla since I did this. I'm also confident they'll return when it is their turn to have center stage.

It was an interesting scene and it had information in it that I didn't know about beforehand, so it was good. Just the timing was less than stellar.