BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, August 15, 2024

Coming Into Focus

I've been living with my ADHD diagnosis for a little while and it's really amazing how much of my life suddenly makes sense.

The jumping from hobby to hobby to hobby.

In the past ten years, I've learned to crochet, learned to knit, am still trying to learn to sew, now I'm jumping in on scrapbook journaling.

(I had a bunch of supplies from when I tried scrapbooking as a hobby, but of course, I ordered more because there are cooler things now.)

ADHD also explains why when I was in junior high, I checked out every single book the library had about sharks, read them all, became expert enough that I was answering questions on a tour at Sea World, and then never read another book on sharks.

It explains why I'm interested in so many things. I would tell people I know a little bit about a lot of things and a lot about nothing.

It explains why I graduated from college with 60 credits more than what I needed because I jumped around from area to area taking classes. Astronomy. Theater. Shakespeare. Oceanography. Greek Myths. Sigh.

It's probably why I've jumped around from Science Fiction Romance to Paranormal Romance to Romantic Suspense. It also probably explains why I write more by the seat of my pants than with a plan in place.

It would have been nice to know earlier, but at least I know now. It helps me feel a little less like a failure at adulting.