BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, September 03, 2024

Epic Fail: New Laptop

When I blogged about my laptop crash and was supremely confident everything would go well, I was still downloading files from my backup service. I learned my confidence in them was false.

What happened?

After a week of downloading, while we're cruising along, it sudden stops and throws a message about running out of space on the hard drive. I bought 1TB of space, more than double the previous laptop, there is literally no possible way this program could run out of space.

Unless it downloaded hundreds of thousands of duplicate files.

I had to delete all the repeats, I went to restart the download, and it wanted to begin all over again! That's right. Instead of picking up where it left off, it wanted to begin the whole week's worth of downloads all over again.

I went to the company's website, tried to find answers there, finally used their online form to send a message asking for help and it would not send! I got an error message. That's right. The messaging service on their website doesn't work.

It has been an endless frustration trying to get the new laptop setup. Everything from the computer not recognizing monitor 2 on my set of external monitors, to me not remembering which programs I had loaded on the old laptop, to trying to even post on here! My pictures were missing.

And you know what else is missing? All my custom autocorrects for my writing. Gone. Lost forever.

I'm trying to get this laptop configured, but it's slow going and I have so much other stuff I need to do. Including find a new backup service. The one I had isn't worth the money.