BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, July 08, 2021

Black Paper and Gel Pens

I don't bullet journal, but I have a thing for buying books that were created for bullet journaling. I shared a couple of the more recent purchases in a blog post called The Notebook Problem.

So my latest purchase is a blackout journal, where all the pages are black. Awesomely cool. Except finding a pen I like that can write on black paper has been an experience and a half.

I'm pretty picky about my pens. I've been trying different brands. The G2s I have? Streaky. They make me nuts. In fact, this has been the problem with most of the pens I've tried.

I have a yellow gel pen I like. Sort of. It's a Gelly Roll, but it's a little streaky and the point is 1.0 which is pretty wide for me. I prefer .7 nibs on my pens.

I've tried paint pens--do not like--and I'm accumulating quite a drawer full of rejects.

I was back searching online for another pen to try. There was a deal going on for Art-n-Fly pens in white, so I thought why not. It'll just be another set for the collection.

This pen I like! It's not a clear-cut winner, not yet, but it's in the running. (I have a couple more brands I want to try in the future. I have them wish listed for another day.)

There is almost no information on the package, so I'm not sure of the nib size, but it feels like a .5, which is slightly smaller than I like, but not a deal breaker. The ink flows pretty well with minimal streakiness and it feels good in my hand when I use it.

I really wish I liked the Pilot G2 because it's a retractable and I hate messing around with caps, but sadly, I hate how it writes. I guess I'll live with the caps because the other brands I want to test are also capped.

Oh, well. ::shrug:: At least I finally have a pen to use in my black out journal. Now I just need something to use it for.