BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, April 27, 2023

Car Fob Adventures: Part 2

My first adventure with the key fob and the keys attached to it can be found here. It's not directly related, but explains why this is Part 2.

I bought a new spring jacket because the old one is nearly coming apart I've worn it so long. The new jacket doesn't have a hood like the old one did. I tell you this because it's pivotal to the story which happened a few weeks ago.

So I have this new jacket without a hood and on Monday it rained. I decided to wear the old jacket so I could put the hood up and not try to manage an umbrella, a tote bag, and a rolling computer bag on my walk into the office. And I did need the hood. It wasn't pouring or anything, but it was steadily raining and it kept me dry.

When I arrive at work, I put the key fob for the car with my house keys attached into my pocket. I have this fear of accidentally locking myself out if I leave them in my tote bag while I walk around the car. You see, I put my computer bag and tote bag in the passenger side and then walk around to the driver's side.

I've done this a hundred million times. And for almost every one of those instances, I've left my keys in my pocket when I got home again because I always wear the same jacket and they'd be there the next day.

Only on Tuesday it wasn't raining. I decided I better wear the new jacket. I never thought about the keys.

You see where this is going, right?

Tuesday morning at a ridiculously early hour, I leave for work, locking the door to the house behind me. I put my stuff in the passenger side, get behind the wheel, and press the button to start the car.

No key detected.

What do you mean no key detected? It's right here (I reach into my tote bag) in the pocket. No keys. Then, like a crashing wave, it hit me. My keys are in my other jacket. Inside the locked house. Which I have no keys to get into.

On the off chance that I maybe could have forgotten to lock the door, I give it a try. No. Locked.

This leaves me one chance to get back inside--my dad. Only there are a few issues. He wears hearing aids and can't hear a thing without them. He does not sleep with his hearing aids in because the doctor told him not to. He doesn't wake up for another four hours.

I start calling the home phone on my cell while I ring the doorbell repeatedly. I'm hoping that the two together will wake him up. After fifteen minutes of this, I go back to my car and start redialing him over and over and over and over and over and over and over. And over.

One hour later and almost 90 calls, he answers. He doesn't have his hearing aids in and thought maybe he heard the phone. He can't hear what I'm saying. I'm yelling as loudly as I can and he still can't hear me. OPEN THE DOOR TO THE GARAGE. I shouted it and shouted it and finally, after a good three or four minutes, he finally does it.

I'm back inside the house. I have keys. He has coffee and cookies and goes back to bed.

So now I have a new item on the To-Do list. Get duplicate keys made and zip one inside my tote bag so I can get back inside the house.