BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, October 12, 2023

Habit Tracking Fail

I blogged back in June about these cool habit trackers I found. I wasn't planning to use the immediately, but had a plan for the fall. Well, guess what? It's fall.

I'd already done a test run on the circle habit tracker and knew I didn't care for it, so when the time came to begin, I printed out a 100 Day Habit Tracker with circles that went across the page in rows.

I created categories and color coded each of them with a mid-liner. I was ready to go!

This lasted eight days. Not because I stopped doing the habit I was trying to track. I've been reasonably consistent with that. No, it's the habit tracker itself that became annoying. I had it printed on a single sheet of paper, and each time I wanted to mark off a day, I had to look for it, find the mid-liners, and then color in the circle.

It would be so much better, I thought, if this was in my planner and not loose.

Except I use a daily planner.

Previously, I'd tried putting a monthly habit tracker on the monthly calendar page to track, but I forgot it was there. Out of sight, out of mind.

Habit tracking on a daily page is literally just adding the item to the to-do list section. No mid-liners and fun colors required. And it defeats the purpose of seeing all those circles fabulously filled with colors. And with this sinking in, I abandoned the tracking plan.