BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, April 16, 2024

Oooh, OneNote!

I have an extensive series bible for my Paladin League series. It consists of an Excel workbook and a massive OneNote notebook. I've blogged about some issues I had with two versions of OneNote on my laptop, but today I am excited.

I finally asked the question: I wonder if I can link my settings list in Excel to the matching page in OneNote? I have a list of every setting I've used, but I don't describe them very well because I have images. Lots and lots of images. So one quick online search and I discovered yes, I can link a cell to a particular page!

Since I already knew how to link a cell in Excel (for the day job), all I needed to do was figure out how to get the OneNote page information. That turned out to be easy.

I'm excited, but also there's one thing I don't like. It opens OneNote on the web, not the app on my computer. It's also a little slow making that page open, but overall, I am thrilled!

Mostly.

Now I have hundreds of cells in Excel that are not linking and I'm not sure it's worth my time to add them. At this point, I know exactly where to click in OneNote to find the place I'm looking for.